Sunday, January 8, 2017

The Blizzards

In Portland we don't call them blizzards we call them 'snow events' and we've had 3 so far this winter.  The first one was when we were flying home from the Galapagos Islands.  Our only worry then was whether we would make it home from the airport.  We did!

The next one was about a week later.  The predicted 2 - 3 inches of snow didn't keep me from going to the mall since I was way behind on my Christmas shopping.  When I went out to put packages in my car I realized that it was definitely snowing and that I had better go home.  The normal 20 minute trip took me 2 hours!  Luckily I didn't have to go to the bathroom!  I actually like the way people in Oregon drive in the snow - SLOW!  In Idaho and Colorado there is always someone who thinks they can zip around and that makes me nervous.  I wasn't nervous during my 2 hour drive and my car did great!  I only slipped once or twice.  I just cranked up the Christmas music and tried to relax!
This weekend we had another snow/ice storm.  Most of the time here the biggest problems come from the ice.  We didn't have church today....in fact this is the 2nd time this winter when we haven't had church because of the weather.  Our stake is very hilly and parts are rural.  There is no snow removal equipment and only a few sand trucks.  Our Stake President said that since the city governments were asking people to stay off the roads, we would cancel church throughout the stake.
Our front deck
Apartment complex sidewalks 
The street behind us is a steep hill.  This might best show why we are homebound with this small amount of snow. 
I love snow days!  I know our Boise family and friends are laughing hysterically at what constitutes a snow event here when they have more than 13 inches!  This picture is from our front door in Boise.
In Boise snow depth records that have held for 30 years have been broken and it has been super cold.  It is snowing again today.  Here's the sidewalk to our house. 
 And the driveway! 
Isabella loves it! 
As does Monica!  I don't think she has seen this much snow in her whole life!  I should clarify that she loved it the first few days....I'm not sure if 'love' is the right word now. 
Isabella, Monica and John walked to the grocery store.  I would love to know what Isabella thinks about this new white, cold world! 
I think everyone in Boise is feeling like this.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment