Monday, June 20, 2022

Cancer Update 2022


My annual visits to the Medullary Thyroid Cancer doctor at OHSU in Portland is a great excuse for a trip!  It's a wonderful opportunity to visit Scott and also friends from our years living there. 

The conversation with my doctor was as perfect as it could be.   The graph shows that my calcitonin, the cancer marker in my blood, is actually going down a bit.  The high number back in 2016 is just before I had my 2nd surgery.  After the surgery, the big dive down and then the slow uptick is exactly what the doctor expected to happen.  He reiterated that while I do have microscopic disease, it is behaving itself and isn't causing any problems.  Dr. Madison's prediction is that the number will climb a bit over time but that distant metastasis are highly unlikely in my case. I will die WITH medullary thyroid cancer but probably not OF it.

I feel absolutely fine and continue to say that I have good health but I do have cancer.  I'm blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment