Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Strange Critters

Have you ever seen an albino squirrel?  I hadn't until we came across this one
on the National Mall.


They are rare and are considered to be a sign of good luck.  "The chances of coming across a white squirrel are incredibly slim so it's a very positive omen and one that you should accept with open arms."  
I'll take all the luck I can get!

Then in Lonoke, on one of my 'guided tours of the city', I noticed these weird ducks by the rice dryer.

Turns out they are 'black bellied whistling ducks'.  Native to Central America, they usually only migrate as far north as Louisiana but for the last two years they have been spotted in central Arkansas.  My cousins, Janie and Pat, have them in their yard.  And yes they do whistle!
In all my years in Arkansas, I have never seen armadillo in town - until this trip.  
Four of them in a yard across from my friend Pam's house.  A pack of armadillo....or if you want to sound like an animal expert, a 'roll' of armadillo.  
One of my cousins calls them 'possum on the half shell'.  Someone else suggested that the group name should be a 'battalion' since they are a like a group of armored vehicles.  

Experiences like this always remind me of one of my favorite lines from the very first Ghostbuster movie. They are describing the chaos in New York City with the coming of Gozer the Gozerian. 

"Dogs and cats living together.  Mass hysteria. Alright I get the point."








No comments:

Post a Comment