Sunday, November 26, 2023

Delicate Arch

 On one of our summer trips to Monticello when I was a young teenager, we drove to Arches National Monument (now Arches National Park) and attempted to hike to Delicate Arch.  I have a clear picture in my mind of the area where I decided that I couldn't finish the hike.  If I were to guess, I would assume that I was probably dehydrated.  I remember that I felt sick and just couldn't continue.  A very helpful hiker, who was practically running along the trail, suggested that we walk over to a shaded area.  It looked miles away to me so my mother and I turned around and hiked back down to the car.  For years I have thought about this and wanted to finally see Delicate Arch.  As we were talking about our trip to southern Utah, I came across this photo of Daddy.  He did finish the hike and I wanted to do the same.  George agreed that we could add an extra couple of days, go to Monticello and finally see Delicate Arch.  Extra fun that Mary and Jackson would tag along.  If Jackson was too tired to continue, they could just go back to the car and meet us in Provo. We had a plan!

Jackson was a trooper.
First we took a short little walk and got some good shots of the appropriately named, 'Balanced Rock'.
I highly recommend this camera to any little photographer.  He loved it and actually got some good shots. 
The hike to Delicate Arch and back is only 1 1/2 miles each way and it climbs  480 feet.  Most of the climb is on what is called 'slick rock', although I am happy to report that it wasn't slick!
This is exactly the area that was so clear in my memory from my teenaged attempt.
See those trees way to the left of the photo?  That is the shade mentioned by the helpful hiker all those years ago.
Every now and then, Jackson would stretch out on the rock and, in his words, 'recharge'!
George and I decided that we loved hiking with a 5 year old.  He stopped a lot and that gave us plenty of time to rest!

Mission accomplished!  
George was not a fan of the drop-offs at the side but he survived.  He might not have survived if Mary, Jackson and I had gone down for the perfect photo op, standing in the arch.  Lots of people do however but not us.   It added to his stress level to have his little grandson running around.  I know he was glad when we started hiking down to the car.

I was happy to finally, after probably 56 years, complete the hike,
I'm a better, more experienced hiker at 70 that I was at 14.
Super mom Mary had carried Jackson's construction vehicles all the way up so that he could play in the soft, fine sand on the way down.  
Our construction obsessed boy loved this break.
Jackson is a tough little guy!
No complaints from him at all on the entire hike.
Way to go Jackson!
Quite a kid!
























No comments:

Post a Comment