Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Mary and Jackson's Epic Adventure

Mary told me several months ago that she had planned a trip so that she and Jackson could drive from West Virginia to Boise.  Her itinerary was so thorough,  that she even knew where she wanted to eat lunch each day.  I love her spirit!  3000+ miles alone with a 5 year old.  Lots of memories made!

Here they are starting out from Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. 


First stop was a safari park in Virginia.
Everyone got a basket of food for the animals to have in their cars as they drove along.
The llama was very interested!
A yak actually stuck his whole head in the car.  No photo of that!  I think it was kind of scary.
Finally an aggressive ostrich just reached in and took the whole basket of food.
I think feeding the giraffes was a lot more tame!
First night was in Gatlinburg, Tennessee which is a big resort town.
Mary and Jackson enjoyed the aquarium there.
Next night was in Jackson, Tennessee before spending a few hours driving around my little hometown of Lonoke, Arkansas.
I loved watching her on 'Find my Friends' as she explored.  First by my mother's house, by the school, Aunt Mary's house....the park, the church, and finally a lunch at the Grumpy Rabbit, which is a new and very popular restaurant in town.

Here's Jackson on the steps of the Presbyterian Church where his 4th Great Grandparents were the 1st couple married and where his great grandparents were also married. It's the church that I attended every single Sunday of all my growing up years.   They are about to tear it down.  That breaks my heart.
Next a trip to the cemetery where he played horsey on my parents grave.  
I hope they were amused watching their great-grandson!
I think they were.
The next few nights were spent with his cousins, aunt and uncle in the Fort Worth area in a town called Burleson.

With Aunt Amanda at the children's museum.
Exploring the Fort Worth Stockyards with cousin Izzy.
Hanging out at home with cousin Lilly.
I know the break to play with cousins and not drive hours and hours each day was a welcome change before the push to Albuquerque and Monticello.

Mary found some really child friendly places to explore along the way. 
Have you heard of Cadillac Ranch?
30 years ago 10 cars were partially buried in the sand.
Now you can go and see them but best of all, spray paint them.
What kid wouldn't enjoy that??
After a night in Albuquerque and a quick and very cold stop at Mesa Verde National Park, they joined us in Monticello.
I think Mary is already planning another cross country drive to see us, this time taking the northern route and stopping by Chicago.
Maybe I should fly back to West Virginia and join them!
















 









 

No comments:

Post a Comment