Friday, November 24, 2023

Marilyn's Fun

When we were at BYU George studied Electrical Engineering and I studied Early Childhood Education.  The areas of focus we each choose in Taru definitely reflect those majors!

I spent a couple of delightful afternoons at the Taru Community Library interacting with groups of kids.

Reading Going on a Bear Hunt and then Going on a Lion Hunt to some preschoolers


I read a cute story called Dog's Colorful Day.  It tells the story of a dog with one spot who gets more and more 'spots' throughout the day from drips and stains!  Then we used watercolor to add spots to our own dog pictures.
Schools here have few, if any, art supplies so using watercolors was a real treat for them. I suspect that Mwanaisha, our librarian, will get lots of requests to paint!  I did leave her all the supplies.
Another day, I interacted with a group of 8th graders from one of the private schools.  After playing some language games, I read them Malala's Magic Pencil.  This story is based on Malala, the Afghan girl who defied the Taliban to get an education.  In this picture book, Malala talks about what she would do if she had a magic pencil and could draw the world the way she would like it to be.  Naturally, she would draw free schools for all children - boys and girls. I gave the students a paper and asked them what they would draw if they had a magic pencil.  I have done this activity before in Kenya and the things they would draw are ALWAYS things that would benefit others.  This group was no exception.
Some of their magic pencil wishes are coming true with the construction of the Community Education Center - a big library, an e-learning center and even a football pitch!
Their selfless concern for the community is one of the many things I admire and love about my Kenyan friends.

Back in September I led an activity with the 8 - 11 year old girls at our church and talked to them about what life in Kenya would be like for girls their age.
Then they made bookmarks for me to take to the library.

In Taru, I handed out the bookmarks and then had the Kenyan kids make bookmarks for me to take back to the girls in Idaho.  It didn't work out exactly as I had planned because there were lots of very young kids at the library that day, instead of the older girls I had envisioned.  I couldn't turn little kids away and the book marks were darling....and the cute faces adorable!
These kids rarely, if ever, get the chance to use colored paper, glue sticks, stickers, markers, or scissors.
I was impressed with their creativity.
Look at those intent faces!
Because the library is in the commercial center of Taru, children whose mothers work in the market stalls, frequently hang out at the library.  This little angel stole my heart.  She was too little to make a bookmark but she was thrilled when I gave her a pink ribbon.
These children really are the light of tomorrow.
The Community Library is helping that light to shine.














 






No comments:

Post a Comment