Monday, December 30, 2013

Golden Friends

You know the song

Make new friends
But keep the old
One is silver 
And the other gold!

When you live in a small town and attend a small school you get really close to your classmates.  That is especially true for the Lonoke High School Class of 1971!  We have had reunions at least ever five years for the last 40 years!  These two ladies can take much of the credit.  They work tirelessly to keep us 'golden' friends!

 I seriously don't remember when I didn't know Pam Cordell.  She lived down the street from me and I know we started playing together before we even started to school.  Shelia was one of my very best friends too, although she didn't move to our town until later.  When I see them now I still see those little girls and feel such a rush of thankfulness for our friendships.

During my recent visit, Pam and Shelia got a whole group of us together for a girl's reunion!  Love these ladies!  We look pretty good for a bunch of 60 year olds!  Or course, you see 60 year olds….I see high school girls and am filled with memories….riding around, Beatles concert, marching band & majorettes, proms and dances, football and basketball games and cheerleaders, making fudge, spending the night together, boys we liked, yearbooks, classes and teachers and always talking and talking!
Friends are the most important ingredient in this recipe of life!
One of our class cheers was "We're the best class under the sun.  We're the class of '71"  True even now - 42 years later!


.

No comments:

Post a Comment