Saturday, December 14, 2013

When Joseph went to Bethlehem….

Years ago while shopping at the Christmas market in Barcelona I saw a nativity that depicted Joseph holding baby Jesus.  I feel in love with it but didn't buy it because I had already spent way over my budget that year.  For several years after I searched but never saw it again.  After we moved back to Boise, George went to Barcelona in December and he also had no luck finding it. 

Last month when I was taking pictures of the Christmas market I zoomed in on one stall and there it was - the scene I had remembered for all these years.  George was good enough to buy it for me!
One of the reasons I love this scene is this song:

When Joseph went to Bethlehem I think he took great care
To place his tools and close his shop and leave no shavings there.
He urged the donkey forward then, with Mary on its back,
And carried bread and goat cheese in a little linen sack.

I think there at the busy inn that he was meek and mild
And awed to be the guardian of Mary's sacred child.
Perhaps all though the chilly hours he smoothed the swaddling bands,
And Jesus felt the quiet strength of Joseph's gentle hands.

And close beside the manger bed, he dimmed the lantern's light
And held the little Jesus close upon that holy night.

No comments:

Post a Comment